Why is it necessary to study materials science?
Inventions, research and use of organic and inorganic materials for various purposes are in high demand in all kind of human activity. These are materials for nuclear energy facilities and ceramic and composite materials for instrumentation and machine building, aviation and space engineering, solid-state electronics, nanoindustry, medical equipment, sport and consumer electronics.
As one of the most extensive fields of knowledge, materials science includes fundamental and applied research and inventions in physics, chemistry, mathematics, biology, medicine and ecology. Therefore, materials science experts have to be trained as universal specialists.
Why in INPE NRNU MEPhI?
- Possibilities of materials science research in various field were realized in Obninsk. Since 1990s, scientific activity has been performed mainly in the field of radiation materials science and radiation resistance of metal materials and has been based on their use in nuclear energetics. Currently fundamental and applied research in the field of promising laser and plasma technologies, solid-state photonics, high-temperature ceramic materials, polymeric composite materials of high-performance heat-resistant glass and pharmaceutical materials science is also performed. Over 300 scientific papers reporting results of experimental and theoretical activity have been published.
- As MEPhI was organized as a research university with teaching and science being linked closely to each other, it possesses an outstanding and greatly developed experimental basis. The Materials Science Department of LaPlas Institute has many various unique installations thus giving students an opportunity to engage in research activity from the very beginning of study and a wide choice of research themes. Capabilities of Institute of Physics and Power Engineering, ORPE Technologiya named after A.G. Romashin and L. Karpov Scientific and Research Physical and Chemical Institute are also used;
- INPE NRNU MEPhI possesses new comfortable dormitories nearby the scientific and educational complex.
What do we study?
- Laser and beam technologies of manufacturing and processing dielectric and metal materials with given properties;
- Nanotechnologies in designing and manufacturing composite materials;
- Determination of material structure and properties by diffraction methods (x-ray and neutron diffractometry), spectroscopic methods (vibrational, or IR spectroscopy, UV-spectroscopy);
- Photonics principles and methods, including photonics material technologies.
Scientific supervisors of master’s theses are scientists and qualified professionals in the field of special materials, reactor and space materials science.
What does await students after their graduation?
- Participation in fundamental research and creation of new laser, plasma and radiation materials science technologies in leading scientific centers and at high-tech enterprises;
- Graduates in this field are welcome to work in leading Russian scientific centers of Rosatom and Rostech corporations, materials science subdivisions of NPPs, at iron and steel and machine-building plants, design-engineering departments. Major industry enterprises of Obninsk are Institute of Physics and Power Engineering, ORPE Technologiya named after A.G. Romashin, L. Karpov Scientific and Research Physical and Chemical Institute;
- Great laboratory basis of Moscow and Obninsk LaPlas Institute and extensive relations with leading Russian and foreign scientific centers give students outstanding opportunities for writing postgraduate theses via postgraduate studentship of MEPhI.
Specific features of the education:
- Focus on developing students’ creativity, individual approach (one supervisor for the duration of education, original themes of scientific research activity);
- Students receive such lecture courses, as “Radiation Physics of a Solid”, “Photonics materials”, “Polymeric Composite Materials”, “Engineered Ceramic Materials” “Diffraction research Methods”, “Heat-resistant Engineered and Optical Glass”, “Methods of planning and analyzing material technologies” and others.
- Study of modern computer and information technologies;
- Participation in Russian and foreign conferences with reports;
- Wide opportunities for publication of research results in printed matters included in international databases Web of Science and Scopus.
Research themes of master’s theses
- Structural material research: x-ray and neutron diffractometry, vibrational spectroscopy (IR-spectroscopy);
- Laser and beam material technologies: ion and laser radiation-induced nonequilibrium metastable structural states in materials;
- Radiation damage of dielectric materials, including ceramic and nano-structured ones;
- New composite materials: manufacturing, processing, application of high-temperature ceramic and polymeric composite materials, structures from polymeric composites;
- Technology of manufacturing high-performance heat-resistant glass for aviation and space engineering;
- Photonics materials: nonlinear optical phenomena in fiber systems, processes of energy transformation in optical materials;
- Physical principles of sensors of radiation, thermal and electromagnetic fields.