Head of the Department is Sergey A. Gubin (Dr. Sci. in Physics and Mathematics, Professor)
✆ +7 (495) 788 56 99, add. 9035
The Department was found in 1951. Nikolay N. Semenov, the Nobel Prize laureate, became its founder and first Head.
The first professors of the Department were academicians Ya. Zeldovich, M. Sadovskiy, S. Novikov, V. Kondratiev, V. Goldanskiy.
Areas of scientific research and professional training:
- Computational environmental physics. Risk analysis and predictive modelling of consequences of man-made accidents and natural disasters.
- Supercomputer modelling and experimental research on physical and chemical reactions in fluid, gas and solid Combustion, shock waves, detonation.
- Theoretical research on wide-range equations of state for fluid mixtures, condensed and nanodispersed matter and materials, products of combustion and detonation of chemical energetic
- Methods of creating nanoscale wires in superfluid helium under laser radiation.
- Monte Carlo and molecular dynamics simulation of abnormal behaviour of matter thermodynamic properties under great temperature and
Future job opportunities:
Leading RAS Institutes (Institute of Chemical Physics, Institute of Geosphere Dynamics, Joint Institute of High Temperatures, Institute of Problems of Chemical Physics, Institute of Applied Mechanics, Merzhanov Institute of Structural Macrokinetics and Materials Science), Institutes of the SC “Rosatom” and the military-industrial complex (RFNC VNIIEF, RFNC VNIITF, NIC Kurchatov Institute).